Borringdon Consols Mine, Devon
Plympton: grid reference SX527586
Borringdon Consols is situated about 1.5 miles northwest of Plympton. Also recorded as Borrington Consols and including Borringdon Park Mine and East Borringdon Mine. The mine operated between 1820 and 1824, 1834-39 and 1852-57 working a W-E lode from Morley's Shaft, Hitchins Shaft, Engine Shaft and Flat Rod Shaft.
The 1856 Post Office Directory reported that: 'Boringdon Consols Mine is in the township of Plympton St. Mary, Devon, and mining district of Devon. It is situated 5 miles from the town of Plymouth. The nearest shipping place for ores and machinery is at Prince Rock, 4$ miles distant from the mine, and the nearest railway station is at Plympton, miles distant from the mine. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years, from 1850, at a royalty of 1-15th, granted by the Earl of Morley, of Saltram, near Plymouth. The country is killas, and the dip south-east. The nearest granite is at Shaugh, 2 miles distant. The known lodes on the sett are four. The main lode runs east and west, and dips 2 feet in the fathom; it consists of lead, mundic, gossan, quartz, &e. The second and third lodes run east and west, and dip 2 feet in the fathom; they consist of lead, copper, gossan and quartz. The fourth lode runs north and south, and dips 21. feet in the fathom; it consists of flucan, quartz, and lead. The known crosscourses are flume There have been three shafts sunk. The engine (Murchison's) shaft is sunk 40 fathoms; there are the following levels in this shaft— The 10, 15, and 30 fathom levels. The Annus Engine Shaft is sunk 72 fathoms; there are the following levels in this shaft—the 12 and 24 fathom levels. The Hitchins Shaft is sunk 35 fathoms; there is the 30-fathom level in this shaft. The mine is worked and drained by a steam-engine of 70 h.p. The minerals found in this sett include lead, copper, zinc, and mundic. The mine is now worked for lead and copper. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 4,096 shares. The purser is Mr. James Wolferstan, of Plymouth; the captain is William Godden. The London offices are 117 Bishopsgate street within; the secretary is J. H. Murchison, Esq.'.
Recorded output is 7,765 tons of 47% lead ore and 10,029 ounces of silver between 1852 and 1857. In 1857 - 8 tons of zinc ore was raised and in 1855 - 147 tons of mispickel was produced.
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Cann Mine (approx. 1.0 km)
Sidney Mine (approx. 2.5 km; TIN & ARSENIC)
Bottle Hill (approx. 3.7 km; COPPER, TIN & ARSENIC)
Wheal Mary Hutchings (approx. 3.7 km; TIN & ARSENIC)
Lobb Mine (approx. 3.7 km; TIN & ARSENIC)
Shaugh Mine (approx. 4.4 km; IRON)
Hemerdon Mine (approx. 4.5 km; TUNGSTEN & TIN)
Hemerdon Consols (approx. 4.5 km; TIN, ARSENIC & ARSENOPYRITE)
Wheal Whitleigh (approx. 4.7 km; SILVER-LEAD)
Lopes Mine (approx. 7.9 km; COPPER)