Yeoland Consols Mine, Devon
Yelverton: grid reference SX513662
Yeoland Consols Mine is situated one mile south sou'west of Yelverton in West Devon. It consisted of South Yeoland Mine and East Yeoland Mine and worked three lodes for tin. They were: Nort Lode; Main Lode - worked from Engine Shaft, New Rise Shaft and Footway Shaft and South Lode - worked from Edwards' Shaft and Odgers' Shaft.
Production records report that in 1854 South Yeoland raised 5 tons of black tin. As Yeoland Consols, 470 tons of black tin was raised between 1852-57 and 1883-88. An account from 1856 states that: Yeoland Consols Mine is in the parish of Buckland Monachorum, Devon. It is situated 8 miles from the town of Plymouth. A 36-inch steam-engine drives 24 heads of stamps, and pumps the water from the mine; there is also a 22-inch drawing-machine. The tin sold from the commencement of operations, in 1851. has realised £13,000. The company is on the cost book system and consists of 4,096 shares. The London offices are at 76 Cornhill; the secretary is Edward S. Codd.
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Devon Wheal Buller (approx. 1.4 km; COPPER)
Furzehill (approx. 2.7 km; LEAD, SILVER, TIN & FLUORSPAR)
Walkhampton Consols (approx. 3.7 km)
Wood Mine (approx. 3.7 km; SILVER-LEAD)
Wheal Franco (approx. 3.8 km; COPPER)
Shaugh Mine (approx. 3.8 km; IRON)
Lopwell (approx. 4.1 km; SILVER-LEAD)
South Lady Bertha (approx. 4.1 km; COPPER)
East Wheal George (approx. 4.2 km; COPPER)
Sortridge Consols (approx. 4.2 km; COPPER, Tin & Arsenic)