Virtuous Lady Mine, Devon
Yelverton: grid reference SX473698
Notable minerals: Anatase, Brookite, Chalcopyrite, Chalybite, Chlorite, Fluor, Marcasite, Mispickel, Pyrites & Titanite.
Virtuous Lady Mine is situated just over a mile northwest of Buckland Monachorum near Yelverton. The mine is known to have been at work in the 16th Century - some say it was named after Queen Elizabeth the First - and worked on and off until the 1870's. Producing copper ore and some tin ore its main shaft was Wheal Bedford Shaft.
Production records report that for the periods 1825-33, 1856 and 1870-75 - 4,320 tons of 7.5% copper ore was raised as well as 6 tons of black tin between 1871-72.
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Little Duke Mine (approx. 0.4 km; Output)
East Lady Bertha (approx. 0.9 km; COPPER, PYRITE & Mispickel)
Lady Bertha (approx. 0.9 km; COPPER, TIN, ARSENIC & ARSENOPYRITE)
William and Mary (approx. 1.1 km; COPPER & PYRITE)
Tavy Consols (approx. 1.1 km; COPPER, TIN & ARSENIC)
South Lady Bertha (approx. 1.6 km; COPPER)
Bedford Consols (approx. 1.6 km; COPPER)
Sortridge and Bedford (approx. 1.7 km; COPPER & TIN)
New East Russell (approx. 1.8 km; COPPER)
South Crebor (approx. 1.8 km; COPPER, TIN etc)