Devon Wheal Buller Mine, Devon
Yelverton: grid reference SX503670
Notable minerals: Chalcopyrite.
Devon Wheal Buller Mine is in the parish of Buckland Monachorum, Devon, within the bounds of the lordship of Sir A. Buller, and Duchy of Cornwall; it is situated 6 miles from the town of Tavistock. The nearest railway station is at Plymouth, 200 miles from London. The mine is held under a lease for 21 years, from 1855, at a royalty of 1-15th, granted by Sir Anthony Buller. The country is killas, and the dip south of west; the nearest granite is n miles. The known lodes on the sett are three. The lode runs south, and dips 21 feet in the fathom; it consists of copper. The known crosscourses are two, flucan and spar. There have been two shafts sunk. The engine shaft is sunk 34 fathoms. The 20-fathom level is driven 50 fathoms west and 50 fathoms east. The western shaft is sunk 10 fathoms. The 10-fathom level is driven east 5 fathoms. The mine is worked by a steam-engine of 30-inch cylinder. This mine was first opened in 1853, and was worked by Sir A. Buller and partners, under the name of Devon Wheal and Buller; it was afterwards worked by Sir A. Buller and Company under the same title. The mine is now worked for copper. The produce, in 1855, was 86 tons of ore. The company is on the costbook system, and consists of 4,566 shares. The captain is William Neill. The London offices are 20 St. Helen's place, Bishopsgate Street; the secretary is Henry Peet, Esq.
Other nearby mines and their main ores
Yeoland Consols (approx. 1.4 km; TIN)
Furzehill (approx. 2.4 km; LEAD, SILVER, TIN & FLUORSPAR)
Wood Mine (approx. 2.7 km; SILVER-LEAD)
South Lady Bertha (approx. 2.8 km; COPPER)
East Lady Bertha (approx. 3.2 km; COPPER, PYRITE & Mispickel)
Wheal Franco (approx. 3.2 km; COPPER)
Lopwell (approx. 3.3 km; SILVER-LEAD)
Lady Bertha (approx. 3.6 km; COPPER, TIN, ARSENIC & ARSENOPYRITE)
Walkhampton Consols (approx. 3.7 km)
Walkham and Poldice (approx. 3.8 km; COPPER, LEAD & TIN)