Dartmoor - Where to Stay: Camping Barns and Bunkhouses
Image copyright (c) Dartmoor Expedition Centre
Apart from Youth Hostels and their associated camping barns there are a number of other camping barns spread across Dartmoor:
- Grid Reference SX 699764 - Dartmoor Expedition Centre - Situated right in the heart of the National Park, you can literally walk straight out of the door onto the moor. Its central location makes it a great base to explore the High Moor around Postbridge and Princetown, Hound Tor and Haytor to the east. If you prefer to drive, the picturesque River Dart is only 15 minutes away.
There is a range of accommodation including: The Barn Bunkhouses - Stay in two 300-year-old barns with cobbled floors and thick granite walls; The House Barn has the living area down stairs, upstairs sleeps 9, plus 5 in an inner cubicle; The Gate Barn sleeps 11 downstairs and 10 upstairs and The Loft Rooms - two upgraded rooms (1 double, 1 twin) with more privacy and security for leaders.
In short, well equipped, simple but comfortable. An ideal base for groups, Schools, Youth groups, Outdoor Adventure, Activity weeks, Ten Tors and Duke of Edinburgh Award Training, Field Studies, Management Courses, Clubs. Instructors can be provided for activities. For more details click the hyperlink above or give them a call.
Dartmoor Expedition Centre, Rowden Farm, Widecombe-in-the-Moor, Newton Abbot, Devon. TQ13 7TX. Tel: 01364 621249
- Grid Reference SX 591735 - Fox Tor Cafe - The Fox Tor Café is a licensed cafe and is situated close to the centre of Princetown in the heart of Dartmoor. We provide bunkhouse accomodation and have the only off-licence in Princetown. We welcome everyone in our cafe from walkers with dirty boots to businessmen in need of our free WiFi. We also welcome well behaved dogs on a lead! We have an open fire as well as a woodburner!! We are huge supporters of the Ten Tors event held on Dartmoor every year.
Fox Tor Café, Two Bridges Road, Princetown, Yelverton, Devon. PL20 6QS. Tel: 01822 890238
- Grid Reference SX 707694 - Holne Stone Barn - Camp in a farm barn! A spacious stone "tent" that sleeps groups of 16. The Stone Barn is situated on a working farm, close to the River Dart. It is 200m to the Church House Inn and tearoom and 5 mins to local towns Ashburton and Buckfastleigh.
The Stone Barn, c/o Holne Court Farm, Holne, Newton Abbot, Devon. TQ13 7SL. Tel: 01364 631544
- Grid Reference SX 706722 - Lower Aish Barn - A camping barn that sleeps up to 16. The Barn is situated in Poundsgate, close to the River Dart. It is 200 metres to the Tavistock Inn and 10 mins to local towns Ashburton and Buckfastleigh.
Lower Aish Barn, Poundsgate, Devon. TQ13 7NY. Tel: 01364 631229
- Grid Reference SX 627769 - Powder Mills Bunkhouse at Postbridge is comfortable and warm with excellent facilities. It is a converted granite barn situated in the heart of the Dartmoor National Park. There are 26 bunk spaces in 4 rooms; two 4 berth, one 8 berth and one 10 berth. There is a fully equipped kitchen with 6 burner stove and efficient oven, fridge, freezer, toasters, all crockery, pans and tea towels provided.
Powder Mills Bunkhouse, Postbridge, Devon. PL20 6SP. Tel: 01822 880277
- Grid Reference SX 591735 - Plume of Feathers, Princetown, Devon. Tel: 01822 890240
- Grid Reference SX 475650 - Lopwell Barn, Yelverton, Devon. Tel: 01629 592700
There are a couple of other private options available:
- Tavistock Bunkhouse - a perfect destination to stopover if you are taking an active short break holiday walking the coastal path, enjoying the Dartmoor National Park or exploring by bike, also a great place to use as a base while you take part in outdoor activities in Dartmoor from canoeing to walking and climbing. The activities around our Tavistock base will entertain, inspire and challenge you – our location in the grounds of the Union Pub will mean there’s also a relaxing venue to enjoy a drink and chat about your day. The pub is also able to offer breakfast, packed lunches and dinner. The self-contained hostel accommodation will include three separate bunk rooms, sleeping up to 20 people, a drying room, toilet and shower facilities, a secure cycle storage area and a ‘wash down’ area for cleaning muddy bikes.
Tel: 01822 613115. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sparrowhawk Backpackers Hostel - Sparrowhawk Backpackers is a small friendly, relaxed, eco-hostel, located in the moorland village of Moretonhampstead, in the atmospheric Dartmoor National Park. Choose between dormitory accommodation or double/family room. All bedding is provided. Individuals, groups and families are all very welcome.
Tel: 01647 440318. Email: email@example.com
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: